Unfortunately I ended up falling asleep with about 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter last night, so I didn’t get to see all of the carnage that was OSU-Florida. Call me a glutton, I guess. I even missed Ginn’s runback because I was still headed home from the pharmacy after picking up Xavier and Carole’s prescriptions.
I haven’t gotten a chance to read all the commentaries and match reports dissecting the game in all its gory detail, so my apologies if these thoughts are old hat by now, or a retread of what’s being said elsewhere.
- Congratulations to Florida for a game excellently played. Based on that performance, I’d say the BCS got exactly the right teams into the championship game – and Florida (to my untrained eye at least) did everything right. Kudos all around.
- I’m sure there are whiny Buckeye fans looking for excuses – and I think I know a few plays that will be dissected in mind-numbing detail – but none that I think would have made a bit of difference in the grand scheme of things. Nothing that the referees did/didn’t call would have changed the result last night, and no amount of different decisions by Tressel & Co would (IMHO) have done anything but change the margin of victory. Ohio State, which had played well most of the season, laid an egg last night against a team that was ready to punish even minor slip-ups. Put the two together and no amount of Tuesday morning quarterbacking, refereeing, or coaching makes any difference – so I’m not even going to go into any minutiae (sp?). Sometimes you get breaks, and sometimes you don’t.
- All of that said, I’m also not sure that this game definitively proves anything vis a vis the “Big Ten vs. SEC” debate. I seem to recall other Big Ten teams beating other SEC teams this bowl season, and I honestly don’t know what the record is between the two conferences. I do think the Big Ten had a down year this year (odd to say when you’ve got an undefeated team and two teams with one loss in a conference), and Florida had a great year – the more I read about their schedule and achievements going into last night’s game the more nervous I was. I’m just not ready to hand the SEC the title of “the best conference in the land, bar none” – but maybe I’m too close to the situation.
- I’m proud of the seniors on this team and for the season they put together, even including last night’s game – it’s a shame it ended that way, but I can’t get too depressed about a team that goes 12-1 with wins over two #2-ranked teams. My hat goes off to all of the players.
- Here’s looking forward to another season – the accounts I’ve read have this year’s recruiting class for Ohio State to be…not quite up to par with what we’ve done in the past, so things might get dicey for a bit. However, I’ve learned to have faith in Tressel thus far – so I’m hopeful.
- And again, because it bears mentioning again, congratulations to Florida – that was a hell of a victory.